Monday, August 18, 2008

Switching to Mac and OS X

I have been a die hard Windows / DOS fan since the early 1990's. In 1992 I was first introduced to UNIX, and I liked it as well. Over the years, various people have tried to get me to think about switching to Mac. After reviewing a lot of material, I didn't take any of them seriously until a couple of months ago. A friend who had switched over a couple of years ago asked me to take another look when I mentioned in passing that we would be buying a new laptop sometime in the next year. Out of respect for my friend's opinion, I took another look. I am glad I did. I hadn't really looked at Apple products for several years. They have come a long way since then. My wife and I bought a MacBook Pro 15.4” 2.5 GHz., and we are very happy with it. I have played around with the various flavors of Linux over the last few years, and I wanted to make the switch to it for our household. However, my wife was not too keen on the idea. She did really like the looks and feel of Apple's products. She, Vista, and my friend convinced me to give Apple a try. I am so glad I did. I have been delighted with the "Apple" way of doing things. It is a nice blend of the things I love about UNIX and the things I like about Windows. I will be switching my desktop over as soon as I can. If you haven’t looked at Apple computers ever, or you just haven’t looked at them in a while, I encourage you to do so. You may be glad you did.

0 comments: